Most employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary foreign worker.

An LMIA confirms

there is a need for a temporary foreign workerno Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job

To see if you and the temporary foreign worker you want to hire are exempt from needing an LMIA or work permit, do one of the following:

review the LMIA exemption codes and work permit exemptionsselect the LMIA exemption or work permit code that seems most relevant to your hiring situation and read the detailed descriptionif an exemption code applies to you, you’ll need to include it in your offer of employmentorcontact the International Mobility Workers Unit if you’re hiring a temporary foreign worker who is bothcurrently outside Canadafrom a country whose nationals are visa-exemptHow to get an LMIA

You’ll need an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

The LMIA application process depends on the type of program you’re hiring through.

Find out how to apply for an LMIA to hire

high-wage workerslow-wage workersworkers through the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Programworkers through the Agricultural StreamHow to hire if you need an LMIA

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) lets you hire temporary foreign workers to fill labour and skill shortages.

Once an LMIA has been issued, you should provide a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary foreign worker and tell each of them to apply for a work permit.

You’ll need an LMIA from ESDC, Service Canada.

How to hire if you don’t need an LMIA

The International Mobility Program lets you hire temporary foreign workers without an LMIA. Check the LMIA exemption code that matches your respective job posting.

If you hire a temporary foreign worker through the International Mobility Program, you need to

pay an employer compliance feesubmit an offer of employment form through the Employer Portal

This must be done before the temporary foreign worker you want to hire can apply for a work permit.

Francophone Mobility for temporary foreign workers outside of Quebec

Under the IMP, Francophone Mobility offers an exemption from the LMIA for the hiring of Francophone or bilingual temporary foreign workers outside Quebec.

Francophone Mobility offers many benefits to employers such as the ability to offer services in both French and English, while developing minority language communities across the country.