The International Mobility Program (IMP) allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers without an LMIA if the position serves Canada’s cultural and economic interests. This makes for faster processing and a much simpler application process than that of the Temporary Foriegn Worker Program, which requires an LMIA and is labour market dependent.  

As with the Temporary Foreign Work Permit Program, the process starts with your Canadian employer.

Step 1: Job Offer

Your prospective employer will need to submit an official job offer in Canada via the Employer Portal.

Employers will need to meet the following requirements to hire foreign workers through the International Mobility Program:

Prove that the job or worker meets the requirements for LMIA-exemption;Pay the compliance fee of $230; andSubmit an official job offer via the IMP Employer Portal (if required).

If you already have an open work permit, your employer won’t have to submit a job offer nor pay the compliance fee, making the application both easier and quicker to process.

Step 2: Apply for Work Permit

Once this has been done, you will be able to apply for your temporary foreign work permit. You will need your offer of employer number to complete your application. If eligible to work in Canada, your application will be approved and you will receive:

A letter of introduction and a work permit from a Canada border services officer; orA new work permit (if you live in Canada or apply when you enter Canada).Important to Note

Remember, a work permit will not grant you access to enter Canada. You will need and be issued with a Visitor's Visa (Travel Visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTa) if you will be arriving from another country.

You may also need to submit a medical certificate to show that you are in good health.

Step 3: Prepare for Your New Job in Canada

Once you have your work permit and travel visa you can get ready to start anew in Canada.